Indie Biz Awards Recap!
Portland Buy Local
held its 7th
Annual Indie Biz Awards at Space Gallery. In front of a crowd of over 200 people, the organization celebrated the work of nine businesses and one individual with the coveted awards.
“Looking out at the crowd, I can’t help but be inspired by the number and diversity of the great local businesses in Portland,” noted Tony Cox, president of Portland Buy Local. “You are the reason Portland Buy Local is here and we will continue to work to support you as you continue to make Portland the unique and magnificent city that it is.”
Portland Buy Local received over 7,500 votes for the awards this year. During the ceremony, it showcased all of the businesses nominated through films created by local production company, Strongpaw Productions.
The winners are:
· Best New Business – Buoy Local
· Flavor of Portland – Local Sprouts Cooperative
· Artistic Leader – Space Gallery
· Environmental Hero – Garbage to Garden
· Portland’s Best Kept Secret – Maine Surfers Union
· Community Hero – Portland Trails
· Out of Sight, Not out of Mind – Maine Brew Bus
· Global Hero – Karma Fair Trade
· Portland Icon – Rosemont Market and Bakery
· Buy Local Beacon – Stacy Mitchell
Keeping with the Portland-centric theme, attendees enjoyed food from local restaurants and bakeries, beer from local breweries, and music from local band, King Memphis. Local Portland businesses also donated items for a live and silent auction. Winners received awards distinctively framed by Portland’s Casco Bay Frames.
The event is sponsored by: angela adams
, Apothecary By Design
, Bayside Bowl
, Benchmark Residential & Investment Real Estate
, Casco Bay Frames and Gallery
, Coffee By Design
, Green Clean Maine
, Marsh Agency Insurance
, Planet Dog
, Port Property Management
, ReVision Energy
, and Tsunami Tattoo