September 19, 2007

Portland Buy Local Meeting Minutes Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Portland Downtown District Conference Room

Board members in attendance: Chris Busby, Bill Duggan, Stuart Gersen, Nancy Lawrence, Joan Leitzer, Stacy Mitchell, Sally Struever, Susan Tran

Advisory Board members in attendance: Jan Beitzer, Elise Loschiavo Bill opens the meeting. The Board reviews and approves the August 15th meeting minutes.

Executive Committee

Bill leads the group in a discussion of the need to re-elect all existing board members to meet the terms of PIBCA’s bylaws. Specifically, we need to maintain a minimum of 9 full Board members. If we lose anyone, the board will be in violation of this rule.

Stacy makes a motion to re-elect all expiring board positions (Stuart and Joan) and also to elect Mary Allen Lindemann and Alan Schmidt to full Board terms. Susan seconds. All approve. These board positions will expire in September 2009.

The Board moves onto a discussion of the upcoming annual membership meeting. The event will be on Wednesday, October 17th at Space, 7-9pm.

Susan will contact Nat at Space following today’s meeting to secure a projector, screen, microphone, and sound system. Stacy will provide a laptop for the visual presentation. The group discusses the goals, content, and agenda for the meeting. It is agreed that we need to encourage participation. To this end, committee chairs will each devise a list of volunteer needs to present at the meeting. Committee chairs will also provide Stacy with a visual element, related to their committee, to include in the Powerpoint.

Susan will send a save the date e-mail to all members and unrenewed participants as soon as possible. The Executive Committee will create a postcard invitation to send via post. Sally will provide the database of names and addresses for this mailing.

We will provide light snacks for the meeting. Judy will bring popcorn and Jan will bring another snack, such as pretzels. Beverages will be provided by Space through its cash bar.

Stacy suggests we set up stations around the room: membership, marketing, renewal, and media. PDD will provide nametags for the board.

Note: Stacy will be on vacation from e-mail October 5th – 15th. If a board member needs to reach her, regarding the presentation, please call her at home: (207) 774-7192.

Bill leads the Board into a discussion of continuity of organizational operations. In terms of the database, Sally is currently the only board member with access (it’s in Filemaker Pro on her personal laptop). Susan inquires about the database available through AMIBA. Stacy has reviewed the AMIBA database and feels that it is very limited. Bill asks if there is an on-line server available for Filemaker Pro. Sally will research the local options and report back to the board.

Mailbox keys are currently held by Sally, Stuart, and Susan.

All incoming checks should be directed to Judy for deposit. Judy will look into having a stamp made to endorse checks.

Sally and Stuart will develop a protocol for getting checks and invoices to Judy in a timely manner.

Finance Committee

Stacy leads the Board through a review of PIBCA’s annual financial report. The Finance Committee is in need of the May 2007 report (if one exists).
The Board reviews a draft budget for FY08. Three options are outlined based on membership revenue levels. The group discusses how much of a cushion should remain in the bank at the end of the fiscal year. Nancy suggests our formula should be to triple our annual financial obligations, or approximately $3,600. Sally suggests we look to our long-range plans and build assets to meet those goals in the next 2-3 years. Stacy points out that it’s our marketing efforts that drive our visibility and membership income. Susan agrees with Nancy’s suggestion. The Board agrees to a financial cushion of $3,500 – $3,600 for FY08.

Stacy suggests we estimate how many new or renewing members we anticipate bringing in during the remainder of the fiscal year. We currently have 80 members. The Membership Committee expects to sign up an additional 100 members between renewals and the recruitment effort into the service industries. All agree that the low renewal rate is of serious concern. This will be an agenda item at the October 17th Board meeting.

There is a brief discussion regarding upcoming grant opportunities and the possibility of PIBCA seeking funding for an economic study of Portland. The Finance Committee will do further research and report back to the full Board.

Marketing/Education Committee

Chris reports that we should be able to produce the next batch of posters in time for the Annual Membership Meeting on October 17th. The Committee will also be focusing on the holiday campaign at its next meeting.

Other Business

The next Board meetings will be on Wednesday, October 17th and Wednesday, November 14th at the Portland Downtown District’s office.

The Executive Committee will meet on Tuesday, September 25th at noon at the North Star Café.

The Marketing Committee will meet on Wednesday, September 26th at 9am in the PDD conference room.

Membership will also meet on Wednesday, September 26th. They’ll meet at 3pm at Port City Studios.

The Finance Committee will touch base via e-mail to plan its next meeting.

Meeting adjourned.

Minutes recorded by Susan Tran.

Skip to toolbar