September 16, 2009

Portland Buy Local September Board Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 Portland Downtown District Conference Room

Board members in attendance: Bill Duggan, Nancy Lawrence, Susan Tran, John Rooks, Stacy Mitchell, Kristin Smith, Briana Couryene, Chris Buzby, Kathy Palmer.

Advisory Board members in attendance: Elise Loschiavo, Jan Beitzer Susan opens the meeting.

The Board reviews and approves the minutes from the August meeting.

Elisa updated us on Downtown Worker Appreciation Day and Marketing:

  • Plenty of donations and coffee at tables.
  • Tents are all set.
  • Looking for a DWAD banner. Joe may have it.
  • Lots of coupons coming in.
  • Board voted to approve an increased budget of up to $450 towards DWAD. Unanimously approved.
  • We have enough volunteers, just need to organize them.
  • Bumper stickers have been ordered, we hope to have them the day before DWAD.
  • Need to check with Dale Rand about any possible overs for the Thank You Cards.
  • Chris said Nathan Eldridge is available to do the photo shoot for the “underwear ad.”
  • Mixer sail registration looks strong.
  • Sebago has agreed to be the 09-10 sponsor of mixers.
  • Downeast wants to do another Co-op ad for the Holidays. Marketing will review the proposal.

Kristen updated us on Membership/Directory:

  • Kristen is still willing to be Membership Chair.
  • Kristen will look at budgeting numbers to hire help for the membership drive and/or directory.
  • PDD has offered to handle the administrative effort of collecting bids for handling the directory ad sales. Possible options for local publications could be Press Herald, Portland Magazine, Maine Magazine, Maine Home and Design, The Sunrise Guide, Bollard, Portland Presents, DownEast, Forecaster.
  • Renewal drive will start in January. First round of letters will go out in Jan. A short letter will go out with an invoice.
  • John Rooks will call Michael Robert at PowerPay to get processing on-line (we can offer a Sustaining Membership to them).
  • Next committee meeting TBD.

Bill updated us on Finances:

  • Very little has happened since last meeting.

Susan updated us on the Executive Committee:

  • Board renewals. Stuart and Joan are up for renewal. They were asked to remain on. Stacy motioned to renew both. It was unanimously approved.
  • Current slate of officers will stay as is. The Board approved this unanimously.

Other business:

  • Annual Meeting is scheduled for Oct 26 or 27. We are waiting to hear from Sebago.
  • Newsletter went out. Looked great.
  • New England Local Business Forum is holding their fall meeting in Portland on Tue Nov 10th at SPACE (10AM to 4PM). Two panels of speakers focused on NE manufacturing. $25 covers snack and lunch. PIBCA will serve as fiscal sponsor.
  • Preti looking for speaker for panel on Oct 21st. It is part of leadership training. They are looking for someone on the board to come speak.

Meeting adjourned.

Minutes recorded by John Rooks, Secretary

Skip to toolbar