November 19, 2008
Portland Buy Local November Board Meeting Minutes Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Portland Downtown District Conference Room
Board members in attendance: Chris Busby, Bill Duggan, Judy Halpert, Nancy Lawrence, Joan Leitzer, Susan Tran, John Rooks.
Advisory Board members in attendance: Jan Beitzer
Susan opens the meeting.
The Board reviews and approves the minutes from the Oct 15, 2008 meeting.
Susan discussed the Executive Committee:
Next Executive Committee Meeting Date 12/10/08 noon @ Maples 151 Middle St.
Bill reported on finances:
- Our accounts are now with Gorham Savings. John and Susan are signatories on the account.
- Lots of filings have happened to formalize and ensure our 501c6 status. Susan reported on grant funding:
- Kevin Donohue suggested that we apply for a grant from the city.
- We missed one deadline for a possible grant because the date was changed and we were not notified.
Susan and Kristen reported on membership:
- New co-chairs: Brianna Courneya McCabe and Kristin Smith
- Kristen gave an update for how they are getting up to speed. Committee meetings have been scheduled.
- New membership applications should go to Bill or Kristen.
- There was some discussion over having a transferable software version of FileMakerPro.
- Membership database and directory are currently up to date.
- Membership definitions and eligibility will be tabled while the new committee is getting ramped back up.
- Distribution of materials (bumper stickers, holiday cards, posters, directories, etc). PDD will be a hub for the pieces and members will adopt neighborhoods for distribution.
- There is a need for a volunteer coordinator. Case and point: Bill suggested that we recruit 10 volunteers to adopt neighborhoods (neighborhood captains) and they would be responsible for distributing materials. This is perhaps an issue for next year.
- There was discussion around giving away bumper stickers for free, rather than charging for them. We need to make sure those companies that paid for them are ok with this and offer them a credit. Bill will make those calls.
Chris reported on marketing
- IndieBiz posters should be ready this week. The address of the featured business was added.
- Thank Your Cards are ready
- Holiday Posters are designed. We will order 200 8.5 x1 and 10 24×36 for specific retail windows around downtown.
- An email will go out letting people know when they are ready and letting people know what neighborhoods need to be covered.
- A kitting party needs to be scheduled.
- A discount was given on the t-shirts due to the color variations. The back and the front on some shirts had some variation.
- TV PSA script if off to the CW mentions the Goodwill connection.
- Maine Watch episode day after Thanksgiving 12:30 radio, TV will air that evening as well on Saturday and Sunday.
- We will run ads in Island Times, West End News and Forecaster
- Phoenix is donating full-page ads for three weeks during the holidays.
- Holiday marketing budget will be sent around via email for approvals.
- Discussed doing IndieBiz awards again in the spring. There was general consensus that we should, The Empire room may be a great place.
- December board meeting will be held on 12/17/08.
Minutes recorded by John Rooks.