June 16, 2010

Portland Buy Local Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 Portland Downtown District Conference Room

Board members in attendance: Chris Busby, Bill Duggan, Nancy Lawrence, Joan Leitzer, Stacy Mitchell, Kristen Smith, Susan Tran, Briana Courneya, John Rooks, Judy Halpert. Elise Loschiavo.

Susan opens the meeting.


Bill gave an update on the budget. Below is a preliminary budget summary.


Membership Dues $20,000

IndieBiz $3,000

Merchandise: $2,000 $25,000 (conservatively)


Executive Committee Expense $1200

Finance: $500

Marketing Committee Expense: $14,750

Membership Committee: $4,020 $20,695

On Budget:

Stacy motioned to approve. Kristen seconded. Board approved the budget as presented.

On Web Site:

Stacy motioned to approve. Kristen seconded. Board approved the web budget as presented as $12,000.


John gave an update on the web project. Three finalists have been selected for interviews:

  • Flyte New Media
  • The Forge
  • 3c32

Susan, Stacy and Kristen volunteered to help interview. Interviews will be scheduled for mid July. Kristen offered Planet Dog as the interview location.


Bill suggested we distribute the Thank You cards to restaurants to use as table tents.

Indie Biz Awards

There is a big need for a volunteer organizer. A graduate student from USM will do the research piece to make sure nominees are eligible. For IndieBiz, John will look into managing the volunteers and taking the reigns of the event. Wednesday October 13 at SPACE Gallery. We should review the categories as well as look at the voting criteria. We should consider inviting other Buy Local groups in the region.

Succession Plan

Susan is stepping down as President.

Major tasks to cover include:

  • Managing general email – John
  • Managing Emma Emails and Newsletter – Stacy and Kristen
  • Function Attendance
  • Back-up Meeting Minutes
  • Scheduling Exec Committee Meeting
  • Agenda and Materials for Full Board
  • Marketing / Membership Mailings are met
  • Overseeing Interns
  • Interface with Other IBAs and upset members

Jan will talk to Ed King about delivering directories. There are volunteers who are willing to deliver, but it will take some coordination.
Brianna has volunteered to become a general volunteer coordinator.

Stacy has agreed to step in as an interim president keeping her vice president title. She will be chiefly responsible for coordinating board and executive board meetings.

Independence Day

Nancy will send an email to fill in the schedule for attending the booth.


Kristen provide a list of members and # of directories that need to be delivered to each. There is needed distribution of about 6,500. Once we approve this list, Kristen will resort by neighborhood.

Primary repositories for the directories are:

  • VideoPort
  • PDD
  • CBD Washington

Meeting adjourned.

Minutes recorded by John Rooks.

Skip to toolbar