July 21, 2010

Portland Buy Local Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 Portland Downtown District Conference Room

Board members in attendance: Chris Busby, Bill Duggan, Nancy Lawrence, Joan Leitzer, Stacy Mitchell, Kristen Smith, Susan Tran, Briana Courneya, John Rooks, Elise Loschiavo, Stuart Gerson.

Stacy opens the meeting.

Minutes for May and June were approved.

Board Notes

September is board elections. Many board members 3rd term expires in 2012, indicating that we need to expand the board or extend term limits.

New board meeting schedule starting in August on second Wednesdays at 8:30am.

Web Site Project

Web site project is moving forward, we will be interviewing three firms.

Candidate Survey

The board reviewed the questions from the Candidate Survey prepared by Chris. Suggested changes included a question about Purchasing and Contracting policies at the local and state level.


IndieBiz planning is moving forward as well. John will sign contract with Space.

There is a MECA event that we have been invited to table at. The event is 10am to 4pm during the week in September. Kristen will send out details.

Research Project

Stacy gave an update on the Study letter to introduce the research to our members. We will send the letter to all members, but recruit some specific members to participate. Board members were asked to take the survey as a trial run. Stacy will send the survey to each of the board members.


Brianna gave an update on distribution for directories.

  • There were approximately 6,000 directories that have been distributed.
  • There were 6 volunteers and 6 board members who helped with distribution.
  • PDD handled distribution of approximately 4,000.
  • We think there are 11 left that need directories. Chris will take care of those.
  • We will send out an email to members to (re)confirm delivery.

The next distribution is scheduled for October and we will not have PDD’s help. There will be about 330 businesses to distribute to. We should consider hiring someone for delivery. We will talk about specifics at the August board meeting.

Kristen gave an update on the Membership Committee.

There was a meeting with Heather from The SunriseGuide to discuss next year’s directory. Heather is willing to do the directory again. One concern is the timing of ad sales due to the February drop in cash flow for many members. We may want to start ad sales and pre-renewals for membership as early as December.

We may consider raising membership rates for next year because of the increased value of the directory. Ad rates will likely stay the same.


Chris gave a marketing update. There was discussion of doing a seasonal campaign with Posters to mirror the directory cover. There is a possible offer of doing a member ad buy offer in Downeast Magazine. The Board approved the LARK Society ad at 1⁄4 page for $125 plus resize fee.

Meeting adjourned.

Next meeting is August 18, 2010 Minutes recorded by John Rooks.

Skip to toolbar