July 15, 2009
Portland Buy Local July Board Meeting Minutes Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Portland Downtown District Conference Room
Board members in attendance: Bill Duggan, Nancy Lawrence, Joan Leitzer, Susan Tran, John Rooks. Stacy Mitchell, Kristin Smith, Stuart Gerson, Briana Couryene, Chris Buzby
Advisory Board members in attendance: Elise Loschiavo, Jan Beitzer Susan opens the meeting.
The Board reviews and approves the minutes from the May meeting.
Chris and Briana updated us on marketing:
- 10% Shift posters are still getting up and around town. Exchange Street would be a good place to get it up (Bliss).
- Independence week went well. It looks like we made around $1000 from t-shirt and bag sales.
- The10% Shift Cake was a huge it (Two Fat Cats donated the cake).
- Next year, we should review the goal of being at the farmer’s market to make sure our outreach is inline.
- Need to reorder bumper stickers. Will be talked about it at the next Marketing Committee.
- Downeast Magazine wants to do an advertising supplement for the Harvest in the Harbor event. Deadline is July 24 for space. We may need to send out an email to membership with an offer.
Kristen updated us on membership:
- Membership drive and IndiBiz award running simultaneously, and then going right into the directory is sequentially a lot of work. There’s a potential burn-out issue here.
- We discussed moving membership deadline to May 1 to alleviate pressure.
- We discussed moving IndieBiz again to Fall to alleviate pressure.
- We discussed allowing people who renew after Jan 1 to be listed in the net directory.
- Look at hiring someone to help with directory.
- Membership Committee to meet and make recommendations (for process, category listings [on and offline], possibility of hiring some help for next year, etc.).
- Stacy made a recommendation that we need a Volunteer Coordinator.
- For distribution, we need to create a master list of neighborhoods. Elise has created the distribution list.
- Where are all the boxes of directories? Need to call Dale Rand to see where the deliveries were made.
Bill updated us on Finances:
- Current balance is +$13,500
- Next month we will have a more detailed review of budget.
Susan updated us on the Executive Committee:
- Board renewals. Stuart and Joan are up for renewal. They were asked to remain on.
- Do we want to attract more people on the advisory or full board? What skill sets do we want to attract?
- We will have a more in-depth meeting at the August meeting.
- Newsletter: We have an account with MyEmma now.
- What will be the editorial process? Ordinarily, we can determine content in the Executive Committee. For July, we will send drafts to Executive Committee for review.
- Need to determine a pithy subject line.
- Greendrinks is interested in partnering. They want to start a twitter feed and feature Buy Local member offers as Carrot Mob style promotions. We will run a test and see how it works.
- Scarborough is looking at starting a Buy Local campaign. The question (by Scarborough) was raised as to why don’t we have a Greater Portland approach. We should schedule a meeting revisit the issue.
Minutes recorded by John Rooks, Secretary