April 4, 2007

Portland Buy Local Meeting Minutes Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Portland City Hall, Room 209

Board members in attendance: Carole Ansheles, Chris Busby, Bill Duggan, Nancy Lawrence, Stacy Mitchell, Sally Struever, Susan Tran

Advisory Board members in attendance: Judy Halpert, Elise Loschiavo

Bill opens the meeting. The Board reviews the March 21st meeting minutes. Chris makes a motion to accept the minutes. Carole seconds. The minutes are unanimously accepted.

The Board discusses the time and location of the next meeting. Based on members’ schedules, it is determined that the next meeting will be on Wednesday, April 25th at the Portland Downtown District office.

Marketing/Education Committee

Chris gives an update on the spring event. He has spoken with Space, and they are holding Wednesday, May 9th for us. The event will be from 7pm – 10pm with an hour on either side for set- up/clean-up. Chris suggests we begin with mingling, followed by welcome remarks, and then a presentation about the new web site. From 9-10pm, we’ll try and have a couple of local musicians perform. Space has a cash bar, so beverages will be covered, and Chris wonders if we might obtain some food donations. Chris will put together a budget for the event.

Stacy suggests we raffle off a gift basket to offset the cost of the event.

Chris next updates the Board on the poster project for 2007/2008. Nathan Eldridge has signed on to photograph business owners. The Board discusses having Portland Spice as the first subject. Chris will get the ball rolling on the design and should have a mock-up by the next Board meeting.

The Board discusses promoting the new web site. The Marketing/Education Committee will draft a press release to go out on Thursday, April 19th. It is also suggested that the committee come up with a flyer to promote the new site. This could be done in conjunction with the May 9th event flyer.

The committee is still working on a smaller, simplified symbol for PIBCA. Chris suggests that the Portland Observatory would work well. The Board agrees.

There is a brief discussion of advertising on the Portland Metro. Carole will look into the pricing.

Membership Committee

Sally confirms that Anne Sampson is still a member of the committee. Bill mentions that the owners of 2 Note are interested in joining the committee as well.

Finance Committee

Carole will visit the Philanthropy Center to research foundations.

Other Business

Stacy asks the Board to consider whether or not we should take positions on political issues. Susan suggests that we should table the conversation until we have full membership and can discuss the issue with our members. It is further suggested that we create opportunities for discussion among participants/members through forums and the like.

Stacy wonders if PIBCA should take a position on Whole Foods and others’ use of “buy local” in their advertising. Carole suggests we should focus on educating consumers on local vs. local independent businesses. Nancy suggests a collaboration between Marketing & Membership to identify local food producers and create a campaign surrounding their products. Chris suggests organizing a grocery crawl. Sally suggests we explore ways to market locally produced products. The Marketing Committee will take this up at their next meeting.

Meeting is adjourned.

Minutes recorded by Susan Tran.

Skip to toolbar