August 14th, 2013 Meeting Minutes
Board Meeting 8/14/2013, 8:30am
In attendance: Joe Gervais, Kristen Smith, Thalassa Raasch, Brianna McCabe, Michelle Smith, Doug Mitchell, Elliott Teel, Danielle Marks, Deb Tenenbaum, Erin Kiley.
Vote for new Board Member: Deb Tenenbaum is approved by unanimous vote.
June meeting minutes: change in formatting, action items list, some typos – approved, full vote.
Erin Kiley arrives – introductions all around. Invited back to next meeting.
- total income for year – $35,275.85
- total expenses – $34,924.75
- $1000 account receivable should now be off the books
- Gorham Savings Accounts is zeroed out, Kristen will initiate closing account
- Joe will look into CD (?) possibilities
- Potential new expenses from Strategic Planning session, to be discussed at future exec meetings…
- Now in two sections – educating public + promotion efforts to members – will be split between Michelle and Elliott
- Additional tasks were assigned across the committee, to be reported back soon
- Ideas included forums, round tables, book club, speakers, long-term success award at Indie Biz, coffee hour speakers and idea exchanges.
- October 3rd – Bard at Tommy’s Park, Speckled Ax?, CBD
- $1000 budget. We could cover cost of cups if needed. Thalassa will present cost information at next meeting.
Mixers: at Urban Farm Fermentory on Tuesday September 10th, at reVision Heat on October 7th
Indie Biz Awards: at Space Gallery on October 22. First committee meeting tonight 8/14/13
- Sponsorship in the works
- Award category ideas – “Best Incubator for Local Businesses” – merge “Soul” and “Icon of Portland” – “Volunteer of the Year Award” to acknowledge individuals who support organization – Entrepreneurship category to be developed for 2014.
- Be sure to let nominees and winners know so that they can be present
Membership: no representation, not yet rolling membership, to be picked up in September
- Elise Loschiavo to return as a board member in September (to be voted in in October)…used to work for PDD, etc. interest in Membership Committee
- Still recruiting Ellen from Dobra tea
- Letter to our members:
- To include an updated Board list, results of Strategic Planning meeting, committee information, a call for volunteers and new committee members
- Reminder to share news with staff, etc. – flyers and more to share with folks
- A call for action from our members, reminding that we are their ally who welcomes them to share in our ambition.
- Kristen will draft and circulate
- Letter stuffing party TBD
- An update to the press about our Strategic Planning session, goals outlined for coming years?
Vision Statement: on hold for absent members to review by Monday 8/19…
Bacon + Beer: let’s throw our hat in the ring!
- Problem of food producers based in Portland, etc.? Will have to expand beyond our membership – Farmer’s Market is that connection.
- Get clear boundaries about expectations of participating non-profit.
This Good World:
- Self-selected, self-directed. Problematic are fee levels, no definition of good, consumers can only view not comment, no accountability.
- Could our smaller members join under our umbrella? Does this reroute our member efforts away from our organization? Plan to draw site traffic? – check with Gavin to see how this might be facilitated.
- Motion to table this for further discussion, motion passed.
- close GSA account
- letter to our members
- approach Chamber about Spring DWAD
- Develop Entrepreneurship category for 2014 IB Awards
- Report back about Bacon + Beer
- Report back about This Good World
- Present DWAD cost information