Portland Buy Local
October Board Meeting – Minutes
In attendance: Deb Tenenbaum, Elise Loschiavo, Mary Marsh, Doug Johnson, Erin Kiley, Allen Baldwin, Tony Cox, Elliot Teel, Caitlin Cameron, Will Carey
September meeting minutes – Deb motions to approve September minutes. Mary seconded. Board voted unanimously in favor.
Harvest in the Hood
• Edit individual membership form for future events
• Less personnel needed in future
• Forum vs. mixer – combine both by giving mixer a focus or prompt
• Partner w/ like minded organizations for mixers
• Add brown bag lunch forum/mixer
• Deb FB invite to Book Club w/ Stacey Mitchell, use recent article & mention Longfellow Books as sponsor
• Use book club as forum for Local topics
• Future book club author evenings – ask Stacey for recommendations/contacts
• Send thank you letter – Brett
• Add year to old content pages on website
• Overstaffed volunteers, need 3 volunteers per location + coffee server
• Offer 1 bag option
• Rotate coffee vendors instead of partnering at single location
• Move to single event, in the spring, split cost with PDD
INDIE BIZ 2014
Auction Items – Pick ups start now. Get items to Buy Local office by next week – coordinate with Brett for drop offs.
• Goal of 10 Live Auction items
• Check with Danielle on Live Auction timing and notes to improve checkout – Deb will contact Danielle
Food Vendors – 2 confirmed: Starlight & Frisky Whisk. 8 contacted: Silly’s, OTTO, Local Sprouts, El Rayo, Kamasouptra, Maine Pie Line, Holy Donut Portland House of Pizza. Still to ask: Gelato Fiasco, Dean Sweets, Black Tie, Vena’s Fizz House.
Music – King Memphis confirmed
MC – Two MC’s: Rachel and additional MC for live auction
Poster – Caitlin to design poster. Allen will send sponsor logos to Caitlin. Brett will send invite & poster image in EPS format to Caitlin. Caitlin will get poster to Brett to print at Xpress Copy. 100 copies to print and post.
Invitations – Print invite sent to members. Board members to personally email 5-10 additional invites.
Event Photographer – Allen will contact Nathan Eldridge
PDD Calender – Caitlin will post Indie Biz to PDD Events Calender
Event Details – documents to be created and distributed prior to event
• Responsibilities and duties
• Event program
• Auction Booklet
• Auction # registration form
Event set-up – 4:30 @ SPACE, auction prep @ Buy Local office prior
Needs for event include tablecloths, squares
Awards – mock up to Tony by October 13th
Send out reminder to vote today! – Brett
Board Recruitment – 3 new potential board members brings us to 16. Still need downtown business owners.
• Shannon Bryan of Maine Today will attend November Board Meeting
• Anestes of Portland Food Map will potentially join in 2015.
• Jay or alternative employee @ Angela Adams (Will’s contact)
Tony will resend board recruitment list. Input welcomed.
MPBN – PDD partnering with PBL to purchase advertising together for Holidays. Last year cost = $1700. Elliot will follow up with Sue Tran for details.
Roles document – Board look through document. Contact Tony with suggestions, concerns, or changes.
Chains – Email to come from Tony with update on chains conversation. Tony updated the board: Discussion @ 2nd meeting on September 25th included possible approaches to limiting or excluding chains from certain areas of the city. Discussed the fact that this would be a big undertaking for the board and that a consultant and ad agency may need to be hired to help. Also discussed collaborating with like-minded partners to access their bases. Need board approval/commitment to proceed. Table topic until November meeting.
Aikido of Maine / Andrew and Debra Tenenbaum / angela adams / BENCHMARK Residential & Investment Real Estate / The Brand Company / Bull Feeney's / Casco Bay EyeCare / Casco Bay Frames & Gallery / Coffee By Design / CornerStone Building & Restoration / The Fish & Bone / Goodwill Industries of Northern New England / Green Clean Maine / Liquid Riot / Joan Leitzer / Longfellow Books / Marsh Agency / Nine Stones / Nomads / OTTO / Peter Metsch / Old Port Magazine / Port Property Management / Portland Downtown / Portland Farmers’ Market / Renys Department Store / Sebago Brewing Company / Stacy Mitchell / Supreme Clean / The SunriseGuide / Thurstons Wicked Good Burgers / Tsunami Tattoo / University Credit Union / Vervacious / XPress Copy