July 18, 2007

Portland Buy Local Meeting Minutes Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Portland Downtown District Conference Room

Board members in attendance: Chris Busby, Stuart Gersen, Judy Halpert, Nancy Lawrence, Joan Leitzer, Stacy Mitchell, Sally Struever, Susan Tran

Advisory Board members in attendance: Jan Beitzer

Stacy opens the meeting. She reminds the Board of the upcoming AMIBA conference scheduled for November 9th – 11th in Austin. Stacy will be in attendance but not representing PIBCA. She suggests that we consider sending a Board member if it’s in our budget. Stacy also reminds the Board of AMIBA’s quarterly conference calls.

The Board reviews and approves the June 20th meeting minutes.

Stacy suggests we gather items for a thank you basket for Nathan Eldridge. Stuart will collect items at Longfellow Books.

Executive Committee

Stacy reports on the July 11th Executive Committee meeting. The Committee discussed a process to evaluate event invitations. Jan makes a motion to accept the protocol as written. Chris seconds. All approve.

Bill will be drafting a member communication policy in the coming weeks. Please forward your thoughts on this to him via e-mail prior to August 8th.
The next Executive Committee meeting will be held at noon on Wednesday, August 8th at the NorthStar.

Finance Committee

Stacy suggests activating the Finance Committee. Stacy, Judy, and Susan volunteer to serve on the Committee. All approved.

Stacy shares information on the Case Foundation and a new grant they are offering to citizens groups and small community organizations. She explains that it is a tiered process and the first deadline for expressing interest in on August 8th. The Finance Committee will review the grant requirements more thoroughly at its first meeting.

Marketing/Education Committee

Chris reports on the new posters. He has distributed 60 and will continue to work on the list. He questions whether or not we should provide posters to participants who’ve not yet renewed. After some discussion, the Board agrees that we should continue to provide posters to participants for the time being. Chris will continue to distribute posters and bring membership forms with him to the businesses he visits.

Susan e-mailed members to see who might be willing to display larger versions of the posters. Stuart suggest also postering at community bulletin boards at MECA and USM. Stacy and Joan offer to help with distribution.

Chris reports on advertising solicitations from West End News and Portland Magazine. Neither publication is offering a special discount. Sally suggests we approach locally-owned media outlets for membership.

Chris also mentions that Elizabeth Peavey contacted him for leads on the slow-food movement (she’s writing an article for Down East). Joan and Sally volunteer to speak with Elizabeth. Joan further suggests Elizabeth contact John at Rosemont. Jan suggests Kris Horton.

Sally suggests creating pocket guides to eating and buying locally in Portland. Stacy suggests this may be a nice alternative to a full Buy Local guide.
Stacy asks if we should consider purchasing t-shirts and bags to sell and distribute. She suggests this would alleviate the issues surrounding pre-order and also allow businesses to order in much smaller quantities (for employee use, as an example). The Board discusses the pro’s and con’s at length. Susan makes a motion for PIBCA to purchase 288 t-shirts at $2,592 and 125 tote bags at $625 for a total expenditure of $3,217. Sally seconds the motion. All approved. Nancy will continue to store PIBCA’s goods at Portmanteau. Stacy will work on creating an order form for members. The minimum order will be $50.

The next Marketing Committee meeting will be at the PDD office on Wednesday, July 25th at 9am.

Membership Committee

Sally updates the Board on renewals. The Committee will start targeting new businesses and new types of businesses in the coming weeks.

Stuart seeks suggestions for expediting the remaining renewals. Jan suggests mailing an invoice. The next Membership Committee meeting will be at Sally’s office on Wednesday, July 25th at 3pm.

The next Board meeting will be on Wednesday, August 15th at the Portland Downtown District office.

Meeting adjourned.

Minutes recorded by Susan Tran.

Thank you sustaining members!

Aikido of Maine   /   Andrew and Debra Tenenbaum   /   angela adams   /   BENCHMARK Residential & Investment Real Estate   /   The Brand Company   /   Bull Feeney's   /   Casco Bay EyeCare   /   Casco Bay Frames & Gallery   /   Coffee By Design   /   CornerStone Building & Restoration   /   The Fish & Bone   /   Goodwill Industries of Northern New England   /   Green Clean Maine   /   Liquid Riot   /   Joan Leitzer   /   Longfellow Books   /   Marsh Agency   /   Nine Stones   /   Nomads   /   OTTO   /   Peter Metsch   /   Old Port Magazine   /   Port Property Management   /   Portland Downtown   /   Portland Farmers’ Market   /   Renys Department Store   /   Sebago Brewing Company   /   Stacy Mitchell   /   Supreme Clean   /   The SunriseGuide   /   Thurstons Wicked Good Burgers   /   Tsunami Tattoo   /   University Credit Union   /   Vervacious   /   XPress Copy

Skip to toolbar